Cleaning up and repairing your home after a flood
- Turn off electricity at the main breaker or fuse box, even if the power is off in your community. That was you can decide when your home is dry enough to turn it back on.
- Get a copy of the book Repairing Your Flooded Home which is available free from the American Red Cross or your state or local emergency manger.
- The Red Cross can provide you with a cleanup kit: mop, broom, bucket, and cleaning supplies.
- Contact your insurance agent to discuss claims.
- Listen to your radio for information on assistance that may be provided by the state or federal government or other organizations.
- If you hire cleanup or repair contractors, check references and be sure they are qualified to do the job. Be wary of people who drive through neighborhoods offering help in cleaning up or repairing your home.