Fire Damage safety
Your kitchen has the potential to be the most dangerous room in your home. It holds many hazards which can cause unintentional fires and burns. There are some basic safety rules you can follow to keep your kitchen free from hazards. If you have experienced a kitchen fire, you need the professional help of our technicians at SERVPRO of Lexington. We are a trained and experienced fire damage remediation company who has the tools required to restore your home after a fire.
The first thing you should always have in your Lexington kitchen to prevent fire damage is a fire extinguisher in your kitchen. A smoke detector also needs to be installed and maintained regularly. Any cleaning products should be stored away from children, and do not leave a heat source or fire unattended.
Stove and Oven
Clean your range and oven regularly and be thorough. Doing so prevents residual grease and food from catching fire. When you are cooking, keep handles of pots turned inward, away from the stove’s edge. Do not wear loose, long sleeves which can hang over the stove while cooking. Keep your eye on the oven at all times when it is on and ensure it is turned off when you are done cooking.
Flammable items such as dish rags, towels, and curtains should not be near the stove. Also, be cautious with flammable liquids, since a small spark can ignite vapors from these fluids.
Ensure all vents are clear of obstructions and the microwave has enough space for air circulation. Do not put foil or other metals in the microwave oven, as they can create sparks and fires. SERVPRO can help you restore your kitchen back to its former condition after a fire in your microwave.
Do not use appliances which have not been tested and approved by a recognized facility. Keep electrical outlets from being overloaded as well and check for broken or worn wiring on a regular basis. Be sure to make any needed repairs in a timely fashion and keep cords on the counter, so they do not get pulled down accidentally.
Deep Fryers and Frying Pans
The best thing to prevent fryer fires is to use a fryer with a controlled thermostat. Do not allow grease and fat build up in pans or on the stove, since they can easily catch fire. When SERVPRO of Lexington arrives at your home, we assess the damage first, including any smoke or soot and water damage. Before we begin any remediation, we go over the plan with you so you can understand all that is happening.
SERVPRO of Lexington is here whenever you need us. If you have experienced a kitchen fire in your home, just reach out to us at (803)755-9774 so we can help you clean up and repair your home.