Safety Tip for Cooking in your Home.
What should you know about home cooking safety? Did you know that many kitchen fires were caused by unattended cooking? With the hustle and bustle of life today it is easy to get distracted by situations that grab your attention away from cooking. Let SERVPRO of Lexington help with some safety tips.
Cooking safety tips…
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
- If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the kitchen and use a timer to remind yourself that you are cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch fire-oven mitt, wooden utensils, food packaging, and towels away from your stovetop.
- Be on alert! If you are sleepy or too tired to cook, do not cook!
If you have a fire from cooking…
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 after you leave.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you are cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- Even if you think that you have put the fire out, call your local fire department for verification.
Hopefully some of these tips will help you to prevent and stay safe while home cooking
After a fire always remember SERPVRO of Lexington is here 24/7 for all of your needs after a fire.