Emergency Fire Tips!
Home Emergency Tips: Fire and Smoke Damage
Your home is a place to relax, play and enjoy spending time with your family. Our home is also where we spend a good bit of our time, which is why we are going to talk about some simple steps to minimize the risk of getting hurt. Below are some helpful tips to prevent serious injuries that are often completely preventable.
What to Do in case of fire or smoke damage:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Blow or brush vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes and carpets.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpeted traffic areas.
- Clean and protect chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances with light coating of Vaseline or oil.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What Not to Do in case of fire or smoke damage:
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO professional.
- Do not attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your local SERVPRO professional.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances, TV’s, radios, etc. that may have been close to fire, heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Do not use any canned or packaged foods or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water- they may have been contaminated.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be wet or damaged.
- Do not send fabrics to an ordinary dry cleaner- improper cleaning may set the smoke odor.
For more advice on what to do after a fire or smoke damage, contact SERVPRO of Cayce/ West Columbia and Lexington at: (803) 755-9774.