No matter the type of business that you are in, fire safety should always be your main concern. Here are a few fire safety tips to consider reinforcing into your daily routine at your workplace.
- Keep your work area free of paper, trash and any other items that can easily catch fire. Clutter contributes to fires by providing fuel and by preventing access to exits.
- Watch your electrical cords, if they are damaged in any way, replace them.
- Don’t overload your circuits.
- Turn off electrical appliances at the end of each day.
- Keep heat producing equipment away from anything that might burn, such as: copiers, coffee makers, and computers.
- Use and store chemicals safely.
- Learn how to properly use a fire extinguisher.
In Case of a Fire:
- Call 911 immediately.
- Close doors when exiting to help limit the spread of smoke and fire throughout the building.
- Never use an elevator.
- Follow the escape plan and meet at a place outside of your building and away from danger. Do a headcount to make sure all your staff has evacuated.
Fire safety is very important, and could save your life. Make sure to discuss with your staff the importance of fire safety. For more information on fire safety in the workplace you can go to: