The kitchen is where more home fires occur than anywhere else in the house and cooking is the number one cause of home fires. Although, kitchen fires generally begin on the stove, the damage can affect the entire kitchen or even the entire house.
Dealing with a fire in your home can be very overwhelming and devastating, but there are some easy steps that may help you cope during your loss. These helpful steps will help prevent further damage to your home:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery to prevent additional soiling.
- Coat chrome faucets, trim and appliances with petroleum jelly or oil.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpet.
- Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces.
The first 48 hours after a fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO of Cayce/ West Columbia offers a variety of services, such as smoke and soot removal, deodorization, water removal and dehumidification, to help restore your home to preloss condition when possible. Proper remediation, can help prevent further damage such as odors, mold growth and permanent discoloration of items.
SERVPRO of Cayce/ West Columbia is available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to help get your life back on the right track